Firstly, we want to say a huge thank you for all of the great feedback from our community that we’ve been receiving. It is with their help that we were able to make this update possible. Our software team have been busy making some brilliant improvements to our operating system (OS) pi-topOS!
What has changed?
There are a large number of new features and improvements to the new pi-topOS. Some of the key features are as follows:
- Includes all of the benefits of the brand new Raspbian release (2016-09-23) (Raspberry Pi Foundation blog post here)
- Smoother transitions between dashboard and desktop modes
- Improved configuration wizard and dashboard tour
- pi-topCODER now fetches online worksheets (which will be updated and expanded) – these can be stored locally, so you can access them anywhere!
- Updated pi-top hardware interaction
- OS stability and usability improvements
- CEEDUniverse has lots of new features – the whole world and menus have been redesigned and there are several new mini-games to check out!
Overall, you should feel it running more smoothly.
We have done our best to ensure that updating your current SD card is as smooth as possible; however, due to the large number of updates (particularly those coming from the latest Raspbian release), we highlyrecommend downloading the image from our website (as described below).
How do I update?
You can download the latest pi-top SD card image from the link below:
To install the OS, we recommend Etcher by Resin.io. It is the easiest and safest way we’ve found to install any operating system to your (micro)SD card! Plus, you can install directly from a zip file.
Once you’ve flashed your microSD card with pi-topOS, you can simply plug it back into your Raspberry Pi and go!
If you are having troubles downloading or the new pi-topOS please don’t hesitate to email us via firstname.lastname@example.org – thanks! 🙂